Lights in the Deep by Brad R. Torgersen [Wordfire Press 2013 trade paper, purchased new] – cover art by Bob Eggleton. Essay and science fiction short story collection. An author whose short fiction I’ve been hearing about for the last couple of years. If you’ve not read Torgersen, this collection – his first – is a great place to try his work. It contains stories nominated for or winner of Hugo, Nebula, Analog Reader’s Choice and Writers of the Future awards.
Here’s the table of contents:
Introductions by Stanley Schmidt, Mike Resnick and Allan Cole.
- “Outbound” (Analog, Nov 2010)
- “Gemini 17″ (Jim Baen Memorial Contest anthology, Baen Books, 2015)
- “Influences: Allan Cole & Chris Bunch”
- “The Bullfrog Radio Astronomy Project” (Analog, Oct 2011)
- “Exiles of Eden” (Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show, Issue #22)
- “Writer Dad: Mike Resnick”
- “Footprints” (Licton Springs Review, 2002)
- “The Exchange Officers” (Analog, Feb/Mar 2013)
- “Essay: On the Growth of Fantasy and the Waning of Science Fiction” (Writers of the Future web site)
- “The Chaplain’s Assistant” (Analog, Sept 2011)
- “The Chaplain’s Legacy” (Analog, Jul/Aug 2013)
- “The Hero’s Tongue: Larry Niven”
- “Exanastasis” (Writers and Illustrators of the Future, XXVI)
- “Ray of Light” (Analog, Dec 2011)
I’m trying to get a little bit of reading done and did read a couple of Saint short stories. I’ve listened to another audiobook or two, some more of The Complete Sherlock Holmes audiobook – The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.
Barbara read Living Proof by John Harvey, Murder in Retribution by Anne Cleeland, Give the Boys a Great Big Hand by Ed McBain. She has just gotten Stephen King’s Mr. Mercedes from the library.
What new books did you get, and what have you been reading?